ATTENTION USAD PARTICIPANTS:
USAD is pleased to release information on the curriculum for the 2013-2014 Academic Decathlon season. The full subject area outlines are posted on USAD’s website and are also published in USAD’s Study Guide.
The curricular theme for 2013–2014 will be World War I. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to genetics and will include a discussion of some of the significant advancements made in the field of genetics in the early twentieth century.
- LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE: The language and literature curriculum will include critical reading, one novel, two poems, and two short stories. The featured novel will be The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.
- ART: The art curriculum will cover art fundamentals and will focus on European and American art of the early twentieth century and will include a section on art and World War I.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will cover basic elements of music theory and will focus on early twentieth century music - both popular and classical works - and will include a section on musical responses to the First World War.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will cover World War I.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics. The economics curriculum will also include a thematic section providing an economic history of World War I.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover algebra, and trigonometry.*
*Note: The 2013-14 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2010-11 Academic Decathlon.